Sunday 19 April 2015

How to Motivate Unmotivated Students

I found this post shared on a collegues blog...thanks Merryl.  It resonated with me and reminded me of previous discussions about just that.  Motivation is intrinsic...students have to want to.  But instead of that shallow praise it is much more effective to plainly state what the student has done and spark that internal dialogue that starts with "I can" or "I just did" or "I am".  No more "good girl/boy" or hollow "well done's".  Now this is a strategy that I have used with my own kids, often starting with "you just...".  Much better that they process the achievement and feel that internal understanding/pride/success.

http://www.smartclassroommanagement.com/2015/03/21/how-to-motivate-unmotivated-students/

No comments:

Post a Comment